The Updated ICF Competency Model – powerful guidelines for both coaches and leaders.
In our opinion, this is a much appreciated fresh look at the ICF competencies. (https://coachfederation.org/core-competencies) It provides great guidance for coaches to become all that they can be and to interact in a way that empowers their clients to soar.
In emphasising partnering and the belief in a coachee and replacing the need to “manage”, what stands out is the way these competencies highlight the essential components of Masterful Coaching, :
- The wholeness of the coach as a confident, ethical human being on a path of continuous improvement through their dedication to lifelong learning
- The purposefulness of the coaching relationship, clear, unique, focused and extending beyond the individual into their world
- Seeing the coachee as the expert on their own lives, wise, resourceful and capable of making the right choices for their road ahead
- Holding the space for coachees with compassion and confidence, a space that orientates them towards their future
- The creativity of the coach in generatively responding to the uniqueness of the coachee and their world
- The process of harvesting learning and growth in such a way that seeds are sown for transformation
See our website www.coachingcafe.co.za for how we view life coaching and leadership coaching and how this reflects the competencies.